Rising to his feet, dusting of the last remaining fibres of the previous weeks Hulk episode, the 8 month old Little Lord decided to upgrade spontaneously and without any warning. He had recently mastered the art of crawling, with style and sophistication as Bond Baby, but crawling alone could not satisfy the Little Lord’s craving for adventure, this baby would not be delayed- for next on his list, was standing unaided.
Little Mama sat, and watched as the Little Lord tried to lift his nappy padded bum from the floor and onto his walker (of the shiny PVC Plastic variety, obviously) she felt naive, she thought she had time, she had only recently got over the last upgrade of crawling. Having baby proofed the living room, created a designated ‘remote control’ spot on the table, far away from little hands, shielded the many different types of electronic box that lay below the TV (noting to herself to ask Little Daddy what they were all for anyway, but resigning herself to the fact that they were probably an ill-forgotten Ebay purchase of the ‘impromptu’ variety.)
Little Mama had felt sure, almost confident with the fact that this would be it, at least for a couple of months. But no, the Little Lord evidently had alternative plans which she is sure he hatched at night time, whilst pretending to slumber in his cotjail. Clearly, he planned and plotted in the midst of the night, coiled and ready to spring a surprise on Little Mama.
Signs your baby is ready to rise (much like a Vampire) from their previously crawling state
- All and any attempt to climb, this may be up your body, on top of the dog, clawing at the sofa like a baby on a mission… ENTER BOND… (joke- obviously standing isn’t a Mission Impossible for he has already accomplished it *Little Mama sarcasm to deal with impending toddlerism*)
- Coy and almost smug glances behind at ‘Parenting corner’ whilst rising to his feet, knowing he has achieved his goal and is ready to release baby WHOOPASS of terrorising the living room with toys everywhere, chasing the dogs and unleashing the secret weapon of now being able to reach things on the table that were previously safe. NOWHERE IS SAFE NOW!
- Pulling at legs, any furniture, toilets, chairs, ANYTHING to try and use as a piece of apparatus so that baby can stand
- Laughing and giggling like a loon when standing has been achieved
- Attempts to walk, yes, WALK, this baby has bored of crawling, it’s so last week!
Coping Mechanisms for Parents during this Milestone
- Begin quest to accept that baby is growing, so fast. They obviously have their own agenda, a little checklist stored in their baby back pocket to tick through milestones.
- Prepare the terrain, for unfortunately, as epicly impressive as our babies are, falls, bumps and bruises come with the territory, so soft matted play areas are a big win!
- Eyes on back of head at all times, impractical but necessary.
- Don’t leave the dogs water bowl in easy to reach areas like Little Mama did! Turns out the Little Lord thought it was a paddling pool queue soggy carpet.
- Rest well, if possible, for during daylight hours, your little baby is going to have you knackered by the end of the day. (The Little Lord used to hold Night Raves, so I understand if resting well is laughable.)
- When all else fails, indulge…whatever your vice, be it wine, beer, chocolate, tea or coffee, get it in volume and store up!
- Pride, that baby you created and nurtured is doing pretty well, huh?!
Parents of toddlers- I know your sitting shaking your head and perhaps doing the ‘all knowing’ laugh for what’s to come.
Parents of teens- help us all how did you do it?!